Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Going solar! (Sort of)

This has nothing to do with web pages but I like it and it is a passion of mine and that is to play with solar power and emergency back up power. I am slowly building a grid fall back system as I can afford to and have the time. What is grid fall back you ask? It is using solar panels, batteries and an inverter to drive up back up lights, fans, radios and more. I can now light up my basement and several key lights up stairs when power is down but these appliances will be eventually tied into a power panel downstairs with breakers that will have a switch over device once the batteries get flat and the panel switch over will switch those appliances over to regular power. Once the batteries go back to a good charge state, the switch will take us back to solar.  OK will I save a lot? Probably not but I will have total peace of mind that when the power goes off, I will still at least for a while be humming along.

Until next time...
Me

No comments: